Montréal

6:22 PM

Hi everyone!

Reading break is coming to an end and I hope that everyone has had a great week. I sure did. I started my week by going to a Food Truck Festival and a potluck (I may blog about this in the future). After that I went packed my bags, hopped on a plane and flew to Montreal. Here's what I did...

---
Wednesday, Feb 20th
I arrived at Becca's apartment at 2.30am on Wednesday and went straight to sleep. When we woke up next morning I met both roommates, Laura and Carla. They live on the Plateau, which is a cool neighborhood close to down-town Montreal. It is also walking distance from McGill, where all of them are studying.

I went with Becca to her first class of the day, which was Organizational Behaviour. We built a marshmallow/spagetti tower and although our tower sadly fell over we still had a good time. After this I left McGill for adventures on my own.

At the tourist office I got a map and some tips for what I could do in Montreal. The lady helping me told me about her favourite café and I decided to go there. It's located in Old Montreal so I took the bus there. The name of the café is Olive + Gourmando and it's an adorable little café with a great atmosphere. I had a panini called "le chèvre chaud" and it was so delicious.
This panini was stuffed with caramelized onions and melted goat cheese. It was perfection. On the side there was some house made ketchup, which was spiced in a very interesting way. I can't say that I loved it but it might be because I have a slight aversion towards a few of the ingredients. The spices used were cinnamon, clove, garlic, ancho chile, pepper and bay leaf. Despite not liking the ketchup I would definitely recommend this place. The people working there are wonderful and endured all my questions about various things. Make sure to stop by if you are ever in Montreal. 
---
Thursday, Feb 21st
First half of the day was spent just hanging out and relaxing. After lunch we headed towards McGill again where I stayed at a library reading for a while. Then we met up with Carla and Becca headed to class. After we had read/slept for another while Carla took me to meet her friends and we stopped by something called Bar des Arts. Every Thursday you can have $1 beers/snacks and hang out. This is just too cool.

We only stayed for a short while though, because we were heading towards a free showing of the movie Persepolis. It is a French movie, based on the autobiographical graphic novel by Marjane Satrapi. It is about her life after the Iranian revolution. I thought it was a great movie and I would definitely recommend watching it.
---
Friday, Feb 22nd
Friday started with Becca and I walking around in Montreal. We were headed to Old Montreal, but first we stopped by this really cool store called Eva B. which has a lot of second hand clothes. I bought a really cute dress because I am so ready for summer and in denial that it is not dress-weather yet.
We then kept walking, through Chinatown and eventually ended up in Old Montreal. We walked along the water, saw some nice architecture and enjoyed some sun. On our way back to the apartment we stopped by Complexe Desjardins where a cheese festival was going on. We bravely decided that we would try every single cheese. Which we (almost) did. After this we walked to Juliette et Chocolat where we died a nice chocolatey death.
We returned to the apartment and promptly fell asleep. I woke up, and headed to Outremont to visit Gloria, Francois and Aurelia (my aunt, uncle and cousin). We went up to the top of Mont Royal and skated. Then we went to Schwartz to eat smoked meat. All in all, it was a perfect Friday full of eating.
---
Saturday, Feb 23rd
The previous day we had actually had some nice weather but when we looked outside Saturday morning it was snowing again. A little bit of snow would not stop us and we went walking in Parc La Fontaine. At noon we walked into La Banquise, a crazy and wonderful poutine restaurant. We were joined by Milkshake (!) and after lunch his friend Adelya joined us too. 

We went to St Viateur for bagels, one of two famous bagel places in Montreal, the other one being Fairmont. After this we walked back to Becca's apartment along various nice streets, enjoying(?) the snow. Then I packed up all my belongings and started my journey back to Vancouver.

Shout out to Becky who I randomly ran into at the airport in Montreal.

Special thanks to
Becca, my wonderful twin who let me stay with her
The gorgeous and wonderful roommates Laura and Carla,
Milkshake, for meeting me
Maria&Chris for dropping me off/picking me up at the airport.

Montreal, I will be back. I promise.
/Hannah


You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Det här med kommentarer var ju skumt... IALLAFALL!:
    Den sista bilden gör mig så himla glad! Du borde vistas oftare i Sverige Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, det var lite skumt. Naw gullig du är. Ja, det borde jag nog. Du borde komma till Canada!

      Delete
    2. Det är ju så långt bara... Om något år kanske kontinentaldriften tagit Canada lite närmare Sverige. Det jobbiga är egentligen att du bor på fel sida om Canada, annars hade jag ju bara tagit segelbåten :) en baggis!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe